It’s getting to that time of year where the handful of students who have been using the library since September are joined by hoards of crammers and last-minute essay writers. Here are some fun tips for our new friends to help to navigate the acceptable behavior for the library:
- The light switches turn the lights on and off. Turn off the lights after you get your books.
- Likewise, if you’re going to sit in one of the middle sections in the basement and someone else is already there, ask before you turn on the overhead lights.
- Ask before you sit at a table where someone else is sitting. It’s only polite.Try to move your chairs quietly. They’re really effective at breaking concentration.
- Take your conversation outside the library. I can hear your “quiet” whispers from a mile away.
- If you want to host a study group, there’s a room you can book upstairs.
- Don’t eat your food in the library. There are reasons why we have the Annex: wrappers are loud (and you’re actually not allowed to eat in the library).
These are just some tips. There could be more – there probably are more. Use your manners and common sense, and please respect the quiet work space we all value.